Buck's B-Roll

My comments on technology, culture, the demise of common sense, and more.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

I'm a professional pilot, videographer, writer and entrepreneur. I'm also a fan of technology used for good, not evil. I think uplifting music, photography, and video just might be able to save the world.

Friday, January 06, 2006

At Least They're Honest...

You know how everyone makes jokes about how hotel housekeepers don't ever speak English? I always assumed that most immigrants from south of the border try hard to learn English, so that they can be more successful in their adopted home country. I guess I'm a fool.

In Huntington Beach, California, the maids at the Hotel Huntington Beach have taken themselves to the next level of societal irrelevance by proudly proclaiming their ignorance. When I checked into my room last night, I couldn't help but notice the large printed card on the desk which said, in part: "My name is Juana. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I do not speak English; however, I want to accommodate your requests. Please circle the item needed from the inside cover of this card and I will be happy to deliver the requested item to your suite."

On the other side of the card was an elaborate translation guide featuring drawings of over forty different items, from batteries to Bibles, that I could request. English-speakers could circle the items they needed, and the maids would presumably read the Spanish subtitles underneath. (Unfortunately, there was no pictorial drawing for what I really wanted to request: "Could you please learn English? If I moved to a small town in Mexico someplace, I certainly wouldn't expect my employers and customers to speak English for my benefit. Why do you think you're so special?")

It's apparent to me that the maids at this particular hotel have decided to be lazy and not assimilate themselves into our society in any meaningful way. Instead, they're going to remain in their Spanish-only lives and make the rest of us point to what we want on a card. That's just plain pathetic.

I am really sick and tired of immigrants to our country feeling that we should change for them, instead of the other way around. If you feel the same way, here are a couple of organizations you should check out:

- U.S. English, Inc.
- English First

To be fair to the other side of the issue, here's the ACLU's argument against "depriving people of their rights." You be the judge.

(If you post a reply, post it in English, please.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home